Strawberry Crunch Brownies Recipe
Written by: Amanda Hugen
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter flavor vegetable shortening or ½ cup butter
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons strawberry extract
- 4-7 drops of red food coloring gel (optional)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ cup sugar, divided
- ¾ cup freeze-dried strawberries
- 7 Tablespoons salted butter, room temperature, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 - 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
- ½ stick of butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ - 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x11 baking pan with nonstick spray. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon baking mat and set both aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt.
- Place vegetable shortening or butter in large microwave safe bowl and microwave about 1 minute until melted.
- Once melted add flour mixture, sugar, eggs and yolk, vanilla extract, and strawberry extract. Mix with a large spoon until smooth.
- For more of a red color brownie, mix in red food coloring gel. (optional)
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (Cool completely, before frosting and add crunchies.)
While brownies are baking make the crunchies.
- You'll need two bowls; one for the vanilla and one for the strawberry. Add 1/2 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of sugar to each bowl.
- Add freeze-dried strawberries to a food processor and grind into powder. Add the powder to the bowl for the strawberry crunchies. Stir well.
- Add 4 tablespoons of butter to the strawberry bowl. Add the vanilla extract and 3 tablespoons of butter to the vanilla bowl. Use a fork to combine each mixture until it comes together to form a crumble.
- Spread both the strawberry and the vanilla crumble on to the lined baking sheet and bake at 350° for 10 minutes. *Check at 5 minutes, stirring so it doesn't burn (particularly the strawberry as the powder can burn if left in too long.) *Make sure to taste it to see if all of the flour taste has been baked out. If not, bake for a few more minutes, mixing and testing every 2 minutes. No more than 20 minutes total.
- Let crumble cool completely and use your fingers to break into smaller pieces, if needed. It's ideal for the crunchies pieces to be no larger than a small pea and mix well.
While crunchies are baking and cooling make the frosting.
- In a separate bowl mix cream cheese, vanilla extract, and butter with hand mixer (or stand mixer) until smooth.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar a little at a time until frosting is smooth.
- Beat on high for 20-30 seconds to get everything fluffy.
- Spread cream cheese frosting over cooled brownies and sprinkle crunchies on top.